Sunday, March 1, 2009

A new church in the summer

Today I went with my friend Angela and her brother Ed to Rock Harbor, a daughter church of my main place of worship, Mariners. I have been going to Mariners for a little over 3 years now. It is the first church of which I have been a member. It is the first church where I actually knew the pastor (my awesome mentor, Justin). Needless to say, I was a little nervous about going to Rock Harbor. I had been before with my friend Becky (on a very hard day for me), and I liked it. But I felt this was a big step. This was me saying, perhaps, that it is time for a new place of worship. It is time to try out somewhere else.
But when I got there, everything was fine. Worship was good, Mike Erre gave a great message on 1 Corinthians 5. I was convicted, I was moved, I learned a lot. And while I was there, I heard God say, "There is healing here."
Now we all need healing. But healing for me is crucial right now - it is what I am focusing on in my life. So, it looks like I've found a new place to go to church. Not that I won't go back to Mariners - I still want to take their Intro to Theology class in April. And who knows where I'll end up in 5 years, right? It seems that right now, though, God wants me at Rock Harbor.

In other news...my brain feels less full.

See, during the summer, I always relish the fact that my brain is less full. I am not working (unless I'm doing my masters, like last summer), so I have lots more time (and brain space) to think about other things. Deeper things. Two summers ago I pondered and discovered my lie. My basic belief about my brain and work is that I don't have enough time to do really deep thinking while I'm working. It's just too much.

Lately, however, I have had more time. I have more time to see friends, I have more time to be by myself. It is the first time in a while that I am actually resting. And today, it felt like summer. (Maybe it was the beautiful weather, but I don't think that's just it.) I had time and space to think deep thoughts, and still get my work for school done. It is a glorious feeling.

Is that how I'm supposed to feel all the time? Man, I was WAY too busy.

No comments: