Monday, August 18, 2008

Girlfriends

Okay, so I know that girlfriends are the new thing - or the old thing - or the current thing - or something. I mean that everyone has already commented on how great they are, and how we all love them. Thanks Carrie Bradshaw. Way to take our thunder. :) People have all weighed in on what they think of having girlfriends. But what's the point of a blog if not posting your own thoughts on topics - fresh and worn out?

In college, I dated a guy for quite a while (3.5 years). When we broke up, all of a sudden, I rediscovered what it meant to have girlfriends again. (I had done the lame thing of ignoring my friends for the guy I was dating - something I hope to not repeat, at least to that extent!). I was in this amazing Bible study where we bonded, watched goofy movies, ate (A LOT), laughed, cried, and did all sorts of stuff. 4 of these girls got married right after college - it was a crazy year! :) But we stay in touch, and it is so amazing.

Tonight, I got to go out with 10 girls to dinner and a movie. (Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - not as good as the first, but cute, nonetheless.) It was so much fun! Lots of laughter and conversation ranging from how cute we thought the actors were, to synchronized swimming, to shootings apparently happening outside of a girl's house, to (of course) wedding talk, as one of the girls is getting hitched Friday. To top it off, I met up with one the girls. We went into Old Navy, and found this pair of shoes for $8.50. No joke! Such cute shoes - and they were slightly damaged, so I got them for $6! But I wouldnt' have bought them if not for the awesome encouragement from my friend. Thanks Dani - I love the new shoes!

Guys don't have the same relationships we do. Gotta be honest- I think they're missing out. I mean, I'm sure hanging out and watching sports all the time is great. But I would rather hang with my girlfriends and discuss real life anyday.

Girls rule. :)

3 comments:

Ang said...

Liz,
Your post (but even more so your visit) reminded ME again...of my need for girlfriends. I have many... but mostly far away. That whole 'lame thing' of ignoring friends for a guy gets even worse when you're married with kids :)

Really though, spending lots of time with you made me realize how 'off' it is...that women who are married rarely get to spend time with women who aren't...and vice versa. It seems that church often perpetuates this imbalance too... and I think we miss out on a lot of life that way.

But anyways...I'm glad you are back with YOUR girls. It sounds like you had a lot of fun on your night out.
I'm having loads of fun with 'my girls'...both of whom are a bit sick today, unfortunately.
But as always, you are missed here.

We'll have to talk again soon.

-ang

dc said...

yay for new "sexy shoes"! :) Muah.

Beth said...

I miss girl time with Liz!