Sunday, June 21, 2009

I can't think of a cute title for this, but...

Last night, I was watching The Jane Austen Book Club on my laptop (go Netflix!). In the middle of the movie, my amazing boyfriend Kevin called. We had talked for a while earlier that day, but he wanted to say goodnight, because he's sweet like that.

Halfway through our phone call, his phone died. No big deal, right? I called him back, left a message on his phone, and went back to my movie.

An hour later, I got a call from another number. It was Kevin, calling on his friend's phone. He said,

"Liz, I'm so sorry, my phone died! Emily offered to let me use her phone, but I didn't know your number. So then I emailed you from her Blackberry, but you didn't respond. So then I called my friend Dave to see if he could look up your number from my T-Mobile account, but he couldn't access it. Then Emily thought that we could text Ricki, and get your number from her. So we did, and she sent it back, and I called you. I've been trying to get ahold of you for the last hour - I didn't want you to worry or be upset or think I had hung up on you."

Honestly, this whole statement (paragraph? monologue?) brought tears to my eyes. I have NEVER, I repeat, NEVER, had a guy go to that much trouble to contact me. The book "He's Just Not That Into You" (which I LOVE - it's harsh advice, but so true!) says that if a guy is "into you," he'll move heaven and earth to contact you. None of this "I lost your phone number" stuff.

I got to witness that last night. And it felt amazing to be the receiver of such attentions.

Thanks, Kevin. You're fantastic.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very cool, Liz! I remember the first time Michael visited me when I was quite sick - he called up the Cheesecake Factory and had them pull up their month-old receipts to track down what I had ordered (and loved) so he could bring it to me.