Friday, June 19, 2009

Phew! First week done!

Surprisingly, my first week is done done done. Woohoo! I have one more week of certification in Music Learning Theory to do. Next Monday, the FOUNDER of MLT, Edwin Gordon, is going to be giving the lectures. Pretty amazing - he's like a celebrity in the music ed world! Reminds me of how I felt when I met the clarinetist in the Chicago Symphony. (Despite being from California, I can count my celebrity encounters on one hand.)

So far this week, I have been stretched and challenged in all sorts of ways. I have wrote songs in Lydian, Mixolydian, Phrygian, Aeolian, Dorian, Major, and Minor, and written chants in duple, triple, usual combined and unusual paired meters! Awesome! If you understood that, you are truly a musician!

I have also done a whole bunch of very interesting elementary music things. Elementary music teachers are rather insane - they move a lot. It's called "flow," and it means moving your arms and legs around to the music - but not to the beat. It's supposed to get you to feel the music better and internalize it (also known as "audiation"). I felt rather stupid doing it, but by the end of the week I was moving around like a dinosaur with everybody else! Yes, that is what I said - dinosaurs. Not to mention bubbles, leaves, building snowmen, pretending to be bugs...the list goes on. I wish I could tape the class and post videos, but you might not ever want to talk to me again. :)

I have also gotten to see my friends from last summer. I missed them so much! It's great that we can pick up right where we left off. I am blessed because I have classes with all of them this year. Next year, things will be sadder, because one of them (at least) will be gone. Sigh...I'll have to figure something out...

Thankfully, I have nothing planned for this weekend, besides finishing my 12 different assignments (songs in Locrian! yeah!), going to Meijer (it's like a super Walmart), and doing a Bible study with my awesome boyfriend Kevin. Maybe I'll make it to the gym...maybe. Mostly though, I'm going to relax - my first chance since school got out! Yeah!!!

By the way - yay to my brother Dan, who finished his first year of teaching! Proud of you Dan Face!

So, I will continue to post. Can't guarantee excitement all the time -but that's okay. It's my blog. :) Read it if you want to - especially if you want to laugh at me. :)

No comments: