Saturday, September 13, 2008

More Girl Meets God

Another quote from this book - if you haven't read it, go and do so right now!

(on her friend's conversion to Christianity) "Her husband was worried and upset, scared that she would turn into some person he couldn't know or understand, scared that she would become a caricature, a small-minded, fire-breathing, Scripture-spouting crazy person. A few years after her conversion, he looked up at her and said, 'You know, hon, you really haven't changed all that much.' It was true in some ways...but her husband's comment also spoke volumes about their marriage...Lil's husband could not see that...what was most basic to her - why she got up in the morning, how she saw the world, what she did with her sadness - was all different, utterly.
"Sometimes I imagine that my father sees conversoin the way Lil's husband does. I imagine he looks at me, several years into Christianity, and sees that I have not really changed that much. I am still a pointy-headed academic. I still work hard. I'm still boy-crazy and I still spend too much money on long-distance phone calls. I still would rather read than watch TV, go to the theather, or travel...I imagine he must see all those similarities, and be comforted that he has not, really, lost his daughter to Christ. And I feel sad, because that very comfort is the proof of just how much has been lost." (pg. 109-110)

Yes. Not having had a dramatic conversion (I was not a coke-addict, or a prostitute, or anything like that), I feel like my witness is somewhat weaker, at least in terms of my family. They don't see a huge difference because I'm still just as goofy, still school-oriented, still liking to read and listen to music. But they don't see the true difference, and I can't explain it to them. They don't get it.

Someday, God and I are going to have a long conversation about this in heaven. I trust His plan, but yeah. Long conversation.

1 comment:

Ang said...

A few things I love...

1.) THIS BOOK!

2.) A friend that LOVES this book like I do.

3.) Reflective and insightful words from my friend about the book we both love...

miss you!