Saturday, September 13, 2008

Politics

From Girl Meets God, by Lauren F. Winner (thanks Angela!)

(about people asking her whether she is a an evangelical) "...Theogically, I am right in line with the evangelical mainstream, but what people want to know when they ask me whether or not I'm an evangelical is rarely theology. What they want to know if whether I vote for Pat Robertson, listen to Amy Grant, and believe the Earth is only five thousand years old. In fact, I've never voted for Pat Robertson, I prefer Mary Chapin Carpenter, and I think Darwin might have been on to something." (pg. 105)

Interesting, isn't it, how people (Christian or not) assume that you are a conservative if you are a Christian. This is a seriously touchy issue for me. I don't believe abortion is okay. I am all for family values. But I also am pro-education (duh, teacher), and I'm against war. Where the heck do I sit in the political craziness? I don't really like to talk about politics for this reason. What's even funnier is that I don't like to talk about it at all - even with Christians, who supposedly would share my views. But most of the time I get annoyed by lectures about terrorism. Do I know what's going on with Iraq, or what's best for it? No, of course not.

I guess I'm just saying that I don't like how we as Christians feel the need to identify with one political party, blanketly, with no question about the direct issues involved.

You may or may not agree with me. That's okay - I'm not working and living to please everyone on this planet.

1 comment:

Adam said...

So if you're against "blanketly" identifying with a party without looking at the direct issues involved, how can you say "blanketly" that you're against war, without looking at the direct issues involved such as "what's going on with Iraq, or what's best for it."