Sunday, October 19, 2008

From my devotional

I thought this was nice, so I'm sharing it with you. It's from "A Day's Journey" by Jon Courson.

(October 19)

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; was me and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. - Psalm 51:7-8

As a shepherd, David understood the meaning of broken bones. You see, when a lamb would stubbornly and rebelliously continue to wander away from the flock, the shepherd would break its legs and place the lamb on his shoulder where it would remain until its bones were healed. When the lamb could walk again, so bonded was he with the shepherd, he would never stray again.

Like sheep, we all go astray (Isaiah 53:6). Therefore, in His love, the Good Shepherd breaks a bone or two and carries me while I whine and cry and wonder what He's doing. But as the days and weeks and months go by, I find myself closer to Him than I had ever been previously, and all I can say is, "Thank you, Lord."

No comments: