Sunday, July 20, 2008

4 down, 3 to go!!!!

Wow, can you believe it? I have officially been here for a month. A MONTH!!! That's insane. I have spent a month of my life living in a different state. No, it's not a huge thing. But yet it is. And I think I should celebrate it. Don't you? Maybe I'll buy myself some ice cream later. (that's a problem - so often my rewards involve food!) :)

But I would like to recognize my month o'Michigan with a list of stuff that I've done since I've been here. Some are insignificant. Some are bigger. (I'm also trying to avoid working on my research paper, because hey, who wants to do that?) They are not ranked - or even in chronological order. They're just as things come into my head. So, hopefully you enjoy. If not, hey, not really my problem. :)

1. did all the stuff to get here by myself - getting my 70 lb. suitcase, finding a taxi, paying the taxi, checking into my room, setting up my room, etc.
2. carried a printer from the computer store to my dorm (and got honked at in the process)
3. saw fireworks in the capital of Michigan - off a river!
4. listened to a pretty good community college band (and I have experience with bad ones, let me tell you)
5. went to a minor league baseball game
6. ate vegetables with almost every meal
7. got taken out to eat a lot, by very nice Michiganders
8. learned how to show where East Lansing is on my hand
9. REALLY appreciated driving
10. had an adventure getting to a church that I never found...walking past sketchy trailers with people staring at me...
11. stayed constant with my quiet time
12. gotten a phone call EVERY DAY from people back at home - you guys are amazing!!!
13. started actually calling people from here too (thanks Becky ;) )
14. used a laptop for the first time
15. discovered Heroes on Netflix
16. improvised on an instrument that wasn't my main instrument
17. practiced clarinet - for fun.
18. played a carillon (and heard a great concert!)
19. walked in the rain in short sleeves
20. visited 2 different churches and a Bible study by myself
21. got a new passion and excitement to teach improvisation
22. encouraged people who were thousands of miles away
23. bought clothes in another state!!!!!!
24. saw the moon through a telescope
25. gone to the gym 3 times a week for 3 of the 4 weeks (ha!)
26. saw 3 new movies
27. made some new friends!!!
28. went to a barbeque by myself
29. seriously racked up the phone minutes

and...
30. missed all of you - a lot.

There are probably things I have missed in here. Many of you know might know what they are. I am currently fried in the brain, so I'm having trouble remembering. I was sort of hoping for a "wow! I didn't know Liz did that!" list. But most of these I think I already talked about. Oh well. It's good for me, anyway!

Now for laundry and research. Should be an exciting afternoon. Miss you all!!!

1 comment:

carillonista said...

yaay living out of state and yaaay carillon!