Friday, July 4, 2008

Fourth of July in Michigan!

Hey everyone!

Hopefully, you've all had a safe and enjoyable 4th wherever you may be. Thought I would tell you what happened here, in the Midwest.

Woke up early, did some quiet time and then organized my finances. God is good, I still have money left over from last month despite all the spending I had to do to prepare for this trip! Hallelujah! Hung out, and watched episodes of Heroes on my computer. Decided I should check out the show a couple of days ago. It's kind of scary, but good - I like it so far. :)

Then I went to a free bbq that my dorm (Owen) was putting on. I had made a resolution to myself that I would go up and introduce myself to people - "put myself out there," so to speak. So I did. I ended up meeting a bunch of physics undergrads who are here for a research summer program. (Can you imagine doing a summer program where you do research in physics the whole time? Blech!) But they were really nice, and a group of girls was going to the pool. So I went along.

And got my first really bad sunburn of the season. It will not be the last.

I like these girls - they're really nice, funny. They're young (21 or so), but I can handle it. One of them, Shawna, is my age, even though she's an undergrad too. So that's nice.

In the evening the 5 girls (Shawna, Amy, Anna, Holly, and me) took a taxi (called Big Daddy Taxi - no joke) to Lansing. It's the capitol of Michigan. MSU is located in a suburb of Lansing, called East Lansing. Wow. We sat in a park and played cards while listening to the community band play patriotic songs. It was so Americana it was funny. Saw the fireworks. Pretty good stuff. Lots of pretty lights and loud noises.

What is funny about Michigan is that after the big show was done, people are still shooting things off. All over the place. So you could look in pretty much any direction and see sparklers, or even big fireworks going off. We saw one guy put a pretty big firework in a coke can. Not sure that was the safest thing, but hey. We walked a while, and took a cab back.

I decided to call it a night after that - I'm tired! Plus I have homework to do. Not right now, but hey. Tomorrow.

So that you for your prayers! I have a group of people to hang out with! Tomorrow night we're going to a Lugnuts game - it's the farm team for the Toronto Bluejays. Should be entertaining!

Love you all! Talk to you soon!

No comments: