Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Spiritual Warfare

(in the life for Liz...for Dani) :)

So we all know that spiritual warfare is a huge part of our Christian walk. Satan is constantly trying to get us down, take us out, make us ineffective as Christians. What does he like to do? What is his modus operandi (or M.O., for you military people)?

First, he gets us alone.

Then, he takes us out.

So...right now, I'm basically alone, people wise. Not really, because I am slowly making acquaintances (sp?) and friends here in the music building. But in terms of having people around me who REALLY KNOW ME, who know my struggles, my lies, whatever, and who support me in my life - I'm basically alone here. How the heck did you do this, Becky?

Today, I was practicing my violin. Nothing too special, just the stuff from my violin lessons at home. And I started hearing in my head (disguised as my own voice, of course), "What are you thinking? You can't teach jazz! You're a classical musician! It'll be too hard - best to just stick to what you know."

I recognized this for what it was, and said, "Well, yes, it's going to be hard, and yes, it's going to stretch me, but it will help me grow as a teacher and a musician. I think the kids are really going to enjoy it. I'm going to do it."

Seeing that THAT route didn't work, Satan tried something else. "Man, it's hard, huh? This is basically a commuter school for masters students. You're not going to make any friends here. Even the people you walked to class with aren't really interested in hanging out with you. They didn't even want to go to that concert with you tonight. What are you going to do for 4th of July? Hang out by yourself and watch fireworks? You're lame."

At which point I said, "Yes, it's difficult to make friends here. Yes, it's going to take some time. No, I don't know what I'm going to do for 4th of July. But that doesn't mean I am not valuable, worthwhile, or interesting! I am a great awesome person, and I can make friends. I just need to find the right venue."

And I also said, "God, help!"

So, if you can, please pray for me. Satan has got me alone, and he wants to take me out. Little does he know that I have been able to encourage people in SoCal even though I'm in a different state! (actually he does know this. Probably why he's stepping up.)

I'm off to read, eat lunch, and read some more. Maybe go to the gym. We'll see. :)

Love you all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing Liz. Was having a rough day and it made me think about the lies I was believing. You're not alone!

Katie Y.